Skip to main content

Cliff walk opens, Eketahuna, 1911




Eketahuna Mayoress Maud Page cuts the ribbon at the opening of the Cliff Walk, Eketahuna. Mayor Cliff Page is standing beside her on the box.

The women behind her, left to right, are Madge Seymour, Mrs Hotop, Matilda and Alice Anderson, Mrs Charlotte Turner.


The coronation of King George V and Queen Mary in 1911 was a great occasion for Eketahuna. As part of the town's celebrations the Cliff Walk was opened.

The Cliff Walk begins by the bridge in Bridge Street, Eketahuna, and is a pretty scenic walk above the Makakahi River.

Sources:
Picture Wairarapa (Wairarapa Archive)
A Goodly Heritage, Irene Adcock, 1973

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Russian Jack

Wairarapa Archivist, Gareth Winter, writes - Russian Jack (Barrett Crumen), photographed in the early 1960s For well nigh a hundred years swaggers were a common sight on the roads of Wairarapa. Men of all ages, all sizes and nearly all races, walked the dusty roads with all their worldly possessions tied in a swag held over their shoulder, usually balanced with a stick. Originally they were a mobile work force, moving from station to station, hoping to pick up seasonal work. Later they came to be men who were looking for a life of freedom on the road.

Edwin Meredith - early settler - obituary, 1907

Orui Homestead Meredith Memorial Window, in its original site, behind the altar in the second St Matthew's Anglican Church, Masterton, built in 1913. -  90-017/67 The Meredith Window installed in the Chapel of the current St Matthew's  Church MR. EDWIN MEREDITH. ("Wairarapa Age," March 6.)  1 There passed away at his residence, "Llandaff," Upper Plain, at an early hour yesterday morning, one of the oldest and most esteemed settlers of the District in the person of Mr. Edwin Meredith. The deceased had been ailing for some time, and death was due to an internal complaint. The late Mr. Meredith was one of the pioneer settlers of the Wairarapa. He was born in Tasmania in 1827, his father, Mr. George Meredith, who at one time held a commission in the Royal Marines, having chartered the ship Emerald, and sailed for Hobart six years previously.The deceased visited New Zealand on two occasions before finally settling in the country. The first

Views of Masterton, 1887

Shows left part of Masterton panorama, looking west, from near the area of Bannister and Hessey Streets. A number of houses are in the foreground, with two-storey buildings in the distance along Queen Street. Taken from new gas storage tank -  97-151/114 Shows left centre part of Masterton panorama, looking west, from near the area of Bannister and Hessey Streets. A number of houses are in the foreground, with the Public Institute (two-storey building in the distance) in Chapel Street.   Wrigley's Bush is beyond the buildings. Taken from new gas storage tank -  97-151/115 Shows right centre part of Masterton panorama, looking north-west, from near the area of Bannister and Hessey Streets. A number of houses are in the foreground, with St Matthew's Anglican Church in the distance. Taken from new gas storage tank -  97-151/116 Shows right part of Masterton panorama, looking north, from near the area of Bannister and Hessey Streets. A number of houses are