Skip to main content

Links

Aratoi Museum of Art and History
Cobblestones Regional Early Settlers' Museum
Fell Locomotive Museum
Pahiatua Railcar Society
Manuscripts and Pictorial (Alexander Turnbull Library)
Masterton Anglican History
New Zealand Books Online (Auckland University)
New Zealand Electronic Text Centre (Victoria University)
New Zealand Food History Online
New Zealand Museums
Papers Past
Picture Wairarapa
Rimutaka Incline Railway
Sir George Grey Collection (Auckland Public Library)
Te Papa (website)
Te Papa (blog)
Tinui Parish ANZAC Trust
The Wairarapa
The Woolshed (National Museum of Sheep and Shearing)
Wairarapa Archives (blog)
Wairarapa Archives (website)
Wairarapa Churches
Wairarapa War Memorials

The Tararua District Library Blog has a number of links to local historical attractions and other places to visit.

Masterton District Library Wairarapa history collection
Reference-only items are held at the Wairarapa Archives, across the road from Masterton District Library in Queen Street, Masterton.

Holdings may be in Carterton, Greytown, Featherston or Martinborough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Edwin Meredith - early settler - obituary, 1907

MR. EDWIN MEREDITH.

("Wairarapa Age," March 6.) 1

There passed away at his residence, "Llandaff," Upper Plain, at an early hour yesterday morning, one of the oldest and most esteemed settlers of the District in the person of Mr. Edwin Meredith. The deceased had been ailing for some time, and death was due to an internal complaint. The late Mr. Meredith was one of the pioneer settlers of the Wairarapa. He was born in Tasmania in 1827, his father, Mr. George Meredith, who at one time held a commission in the Royal Marines, having chartered the ship Emerald, and sailed for Hobart six years previously.The deceased visited New Zealand on two occasions before finally settling in the country. The first visit was in 1850 in H.M.S. Bramble. and at the time of that visit the Canterbury settlement was being formed, the fifth immigrant ship having only just arrived from the old country.

The second visit of Mr. Meredith to New Zealand was a year later than the first. He came …

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.