Skip to main content

Bunny/Kebbell Wedding - 1938, Masterton

The Evening Post, 6 June 1938 reported
MASTERTON WEDDING
OVER FIVE HUNDRED GUESTS

Barbara Rita, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Kebbell, "Nga Rata," Alfredton, was married on Saturday afternoon to Henry Oliver, twin son of Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Bunny, "Waipipi," Masterton, The ceremony was performed at St. Matthew's Anglican Church by the Rev. E. J. Rich, assisted by the Rev. L. Ives, Eketahuna. The service was fully choral. Two hymns, specially chosen were "O Father, All Creating" and "O, Perfect Love," and during the signing of the register Mr. W. C. Mann sang the solo "Where'er You Walk'" 
The decorations in the church were particularly lovely, forget-me-nots, which are completely out of season, spilling their bright colour against autumn-tinted chrysanthemums and shiny scarlet berries. The bride's lovely gown of heavy cream satin was brocaded in an allover design of polyanthus roses. Slim-fitting, it was made with a softly ruched bodice and a heart-shaped neckline. The long sleeves were pleated and full at the shoulders, and were tight fitting and pointed over the wrists. The yellow satin sash of matching material was tied in a bow at front and the ends were silver tasselled. The bride's graceful veil of honiton lace was lent by Mrs. Frank Leckie, Wellington, an old friend of her mother. Mounted on cream tulle it was held in place by a coronet of orange blossom and was worn with a short face veil of similar lace. Her lovely pendant was of blue enamel and diamonds, and her bouquet was of deep cream roses and carnations. Mr Kebbell escorted his daughter to the altar. 
There were five bridesmaids, the Misses Kirsty Cameron (Hinakura), Pat von Dadelszen (Hastings), Barbara Greenwood (Christchurch), Janet Williams (Gisborne), and Beverley Vallance (Hastings). Their frocks in a clear shade of turquoise blue were of silk velvet and were cut on similar lines to that of the bride's except that the sleeves were short and ruched. They wore circlets of red roses in the hair and carried bouquets of the same flowers. 
Mr. Dick Wardell was best man and the groomsmen were Messrs. John Riddiford, Tony Riddiford, Joe Bunny and Jack Bennett. The ushers at the church were Messrs. Allan Wardell,  Dick Bunny, W. Leckie, and Dick Hewitt.

Waipipi Homestead, Opaki, 90-017/575
Pot plants and greenery made a bower of the large marquee which had been erected in the grounds of "Waipipi," and where Mrs. Kebbell and Mrs. Bunny received the guests after the ceremony. Over five hundred visitors from both islands were present. Over her model frock of deep petunia braided lace embossed in a deeper shade of velvet, Mrs. Kebbell wore a squirrel cape. Her hat was of a similar shade to her dress, and she carried a posy of cyclamen and anemones. The bridegroom's mother wore a rust-coloured frock and hat and her bouquet was of flowers in autumn tints. Mrs. von Dadelszen (Hastings), aunt of the bride, wore a frock of wine silk ottoman, a dyed squirrel cape, and a black velvet hat. Mrs. Reg Kebbell, another aunt, wore a navy ensemble with fox furs. 
A three-tiered wedding cake centred the bride's table, which was gay with iceland poppies in shades of pink, and dainty blue-tongued stilosas. 
Relatives of the bride who were present were 
Mrs. A. W. Nisbet (Wellington),
Mrs. R. E. Gaisford (Palmerston North),
Mrs. H. Pavitt, and Mrs. L. Pettitt (aunts). 
Aunts of the bridegroom present were: 
Mrs. Edward Riddiford (Lower Hutt),
Mrs. E. W. Bunny,
Mrs. Earl Bunny (Dannevirke),
Mrs. B. R. Bunny, and
Mrs. Arthur Bunny.
The bride's tailored going-away suit was clover-coloured and trimmed with grey Persian lamb. Her grey hat was trimmed with clover and her accessories were grey. 


Notes:

  1. Harold Noel Kebbell married Isabella Margaret (Belle) Pettit in July 1915. An account of the wedding is here.
  2. Further information about the Kebbell family at Nga Rata in the Alfredton district is available here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.