Skip to main content
 Wairarapa Daily Times, Volume LXX, Issue 146192, 9 March 1917, Page 4

At the annual picnic of the Kaituna school, a fat lamb presented by Messrs P. Olliver and J. McGillicuddy, was auctioned on behalf of the Red Cross fund.

The animal realised the sum of £12 9s, the bids being as follows:--

Mrs Carlson £1 5s
Mr P. Olliver,  £1
Mr J. McGillicuddy  £1
Mr W.C. Miller 10s
Mrs Smith 5s
Mrs Peters 5s
Miss Kelliher 5s
Mr C.O'Brien 5s
Miss Elma Smith 2s
Mrs Taylforth 5s
Miss G. Smith 5s
Mr J. Wilson, jun., 5s
Mr Tom Burling 5s
Master Herb. Smith 2s
Mrs J. M. Sinclair 5s
Mr M. J. Sinclair 5s
Mr M. J. Sinclair 10s
Mr G. McKenzie 5s
Mr Tom Boyle 10s
Master Jim Olliver 2s
Miss Carlson 10s
Mr Fred Brown 10s
Nellie McGillicudy 2s 6d
Sissie McGillicudy 2s 6d
Mr Watler Sutherland 10s
Mr Geo. Blake 5s
Rev. G. T. Brown 5s
Miss Marjory Kibblewhite 3s
Mrs McGillicuddy 10s
Joy Flett (infant) 1s
Constable Penson 2s 6d
Miss Miller 6d
Miss R.E. McKay 5s
final bid--Mr George McKenzie £1 15s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

McRae-Tatham wedding, 1902

Wairarapa Daily Times, Volume XXVI, Issue 7325, 1 December 1902, Page 2

One of the prettiest weddings which has taken place on the East Coast, for a long time, was celebrated on Wednesday last, at Homewood, the residence of Mrs Tatham.

The contracting parties were Nehemiah, youngest son of the late Nehemiah McRae, Esq., of Nelson, and Effie Mabel, second daughter of the late Frederic E. Tatham, of Homewood. The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr J. H. Tatham, was dressed in soft white silk trimmed with lace insertion, and wore the usual bridal veil and orange blossoms. The bridesmaids were Miss Ivy Tatham, sister of the bride, and Miss Marjorie Ward, niece of the bridegroom, and were prettily attired in white silk dresses. The bouquets, which were carried by bride and bridesmaids, were composed of white roses, syringa, and maiden hair fern.

The bridegroom was attended by Hugh Morrison, Esq., of Blairlogie, as best man. The bridegroom's present to the bride w…

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.