Skip to main content

Obituary - William Andrew, 1931

The death occurred at his residence, Cole street, Masterton, early last evening of Mr. William Andrew, a very well-known resident of the district over a long period of years. The late Mr. Andrew, who was 72 years of age, had been ill for a long time. He was the eldest son of the Rev. J. C. Andrew, formerly rector of the Nelson College, and later of Ica station, Tinui; probably the best-known figure associated, with the early settlement of the East Coast.

The late Mr. Andrew was bom at Otamatata, in South Canterbury, and was educated at Nelson College and Christ College. He served as a cadet in the Government Survey Department and afterwards, worked for some time as assistant to different surveyors, and later entered into business at Greytown, and with the late Mr. E. B. Foster was engaged on many of the early surveys in the Wairarapa district.

Mr. Andrew then engaged in farming at Kimbolton and Feilding, and upon the subdivision of Ica he took over the north-eastern portion, known as Otahome, where he lived for some years until he removed fifteen years ago to the Upper Plain.

He was a member of the party of Armed Constabulary and Volunteers that occupied Parihaka fifty years ago, on the occasion of a Native disturbance.

Mr. Andrew was married to Miss Margaret Anne Mackay, a daughter of a well-known family of early settlers and a granddaughter of Mr. Morison, of Glenmorgan, after whom Morison's Bush was named. The funeral will take, place in Masterton tomorrow morning.
Under the will of the late Mr. William Andrew, of Masterton, a number of bequests are made to charity.

The governing body of the Missionary Birthday Band, a society formed in the State of Victoria, Australia, for the purpose of fitting and enabling native Christians to evangelise their own people, receives £5000. The Wairarapa Royal Arch Chapter of Freemasons, for the help of sick and indigent Freemasons and their families, and for the help of widows and children of deceased Freemasons who may be in needy circumstances, receives the income in perpetuity on the. sum of £1000.
The Wellington [Anglican] Diocesan Board of Trustees receives the sum of £500 to be applied by the board for such lawful purposes in connection with the Upper Plain Church [now St Andrew's in the Paddock], Masterton, as the board shall think fit.
In the event of the failure of certain bequests to infant relatives who may fail to attain the age of 21 years, the Maori Mission will receive £2000, the Melanesian Mission £2000, the Masterton Y.M.C.A. £500, and the Sedgley Home trustees, Masterton, £500.

---

William and Margaret Andrew were instrumental in getting the Upper Plain Church Room (now St Andrew's in the Paddock) off the ground by donating the land on which the church sits. On his death William donated £500 for use by the Diocesan Board of Trustees which was probably applied to paying off any outstanding debt on the building.

The Upper Plain Church Room was first planned in July 1922 and was dedicated by Bishop Sprott on 4 November 1922.

---

William Andrew's, Margaret Annie Andrew, née Mackay, died in May 1942, aged 76.  They are both buried in the Archer Street Cemetery, Masterton.

Comments

  1. Do you have any photo's of William Andrew or know where I could get them? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.