Skip to main content

Obituary: James George Dagg

The Dagg family of Upper Plain, Masterton, circa 1900
02-70/2.digital
 Evening Post , Issue 11, 14 January 1935, Page 10

A Wairarapa pioneer, Mr. James George Dagg, died in the Masterton Hospital yesterday morning, at the age of 80 years, states a special message to "The Post."

The late Mr. Dagg, who was held in high respect by all who know him as a good farmer and a loyal friend, had spent almost the whole of his long life in New Zealand. Born in Mullingar, West Meath, Ireland, he was brought to this country by his parents 78 years ago. The family landed at Wellington from the ship Westminster, and the journey into the Wairarapa was made by bullock dray, the grown-up members of the party doing most of the journey on foot.

The late Mr. Dagg had farmed for 52 years the property at Kaituna which he occupied up to the time of his death.

In the days of the Maori War, Mr. Dagg served in the ranks of the Volunteers in the Wairarapa.

He was the first chairman of the Kaituna School Committee, and had long been closely associated with Knox Church, of which he had been an elder for the last twenty years. For a good many years Mr. Dagg had been a member of the Masterton Bowling Club.

His wife predeceased him about ten years ago, and he is survived by a family of three sons and two daughters. The sons are

Messrs. Robert Dagg, Kaponga, Taranaki;
J. G. Dagg, Masterton; and
H. W. Dagg, Kaituna.

The daughters are
Mesdames F. Truscott, Worksop Road, and
R. Taylforth, Fernridge.

The late Mr. Dagg is survived also by one brother, Mr. J. T. Dagg, Masterton, and four sisters,

Mesdames H. Graham, Auckland;
W. De Lisle, Auckland;
W. Townsend, Thames; and
E. J. Rose, Upper Plain.


Photograph:  Wairarapa Archive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.