Skip to main content

McRae-Tatham wedding, 1902

Wedding party of Effie Tatham and Nehemiah McRae. Standing: Jack Tatham; Nehemiah McRae; Mr McRae. Seated in second row: Mrs Julia Tatham; Effie Tatham; Mrs McRae. Front row: Hugh Morrison; unknown; Ivy Tatham; Rev Sykes,
26 November 1902 01-25/81.digital
  
Wairarapa Daily Times, Volume XXVI, Issue 7325, 1 December 1902, Page 2

One of the prettiest weddings which has taken place on the East Coast, for a long time, was celebrated on Wednesday last, at Homewood, the residence of Mrs Tatham.

The contracting parties were Nehemiah, youngest son of the late Nehemiah McRae, Esq., of Nelson, and Effie Mabel, second daughter of the late Frederic E. Tatham, of Homewood. The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr J. H. Tatham, was dressed in soft white silk trimmed with lace insertion, and wore the usual bridal veil and orange blossoms. The bridesmaids were Miss Ivy Tatham, sister of the bride, and Miss Marjorie Ward, niece of the bridegroom, and were prettily attired in white silk dresses. The bouquets, which were carried by bride and bridesmaids, were composed of white roses, syringa, and maiden hair fern.

The bridegroom was attended by Hugh Morrison, Esq., of Blairlogie, as best man. The bridegroom's present to the bride was a handsome gold muff chain, and to the bridesmaids pretty gold and pearl brooches.

The bride's mother was becomingly attired in a handsome black silk dress. Mrs Ward, sister of the bridegroom, wore a pretty dove voile dress, trimmed with pale blue velvet. The service was performed by the Rev. J. H. Sykes, of Te Nui.

Among the numerous guests present were

Mrs Ward, Wellington
Miss Garforth and Miss Edith Garforth, Christchurch,
Miss Zohrab, Wellington;
Miss Cameron, Kaiwarra;
Miss Drummond, Kilbirnie
Mr and Mrs Kummer and family,
Mr and Mrs Henry Bennett,
Mrs Toogood,
Miss Jackson,
Mr and Mrs Taylor,
Mrs G. Moore,
Mr Harold Bennett,
Mr H. Cameron,
Mr Mabin (Nelson) and
Mr L. Meredith.

Also a large number of Maoris, who, at the close of the service, greeted the bride in true Native fashion.

After the service Mr and Mrs McRae received the congratulations of their numerous friends. A very merry party partook of a sumptuous wedding breakfast, when the toast of the bride and groom was proposed by the Rev. J. H. Sykes. The day was beautifully fine, and the Homewood grounds, with their wealth of roses, looked at their best.

Later in the day Mr and Mrs McRae left for their home amid a shower of rose leaves. Three hearty cheers, in which the Maoris joined, were given as they drove away.

Mrs McRae, who has been very popular all over the Whareama district, will be greatly missed, and she will carry with her the best wishes of the whole community for her future happiness.

---

Nehemiah and Effie McRae farmed and raised their family at Parekura, Piopio, King Country.  Nehemiah died in 1944 and Effie died in Auckland in 1955.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.