Skip to main content

Rata for sale as firewood, 1907

Hukanui timber mill, photographed between 1890 and 1910 - 90-017/103



In 1910 the Wairarapa Daily Times reported that
Settlers in and around Hukanui are finding that Palmerston [North] is proving a profitable firewood market, according to the remarks of a resident of Hukanui to a Wairarapa Daily Times reporter.

He stated that one farmer has cleared no less than a thousand cords of firewood off his property during the past year, and has not only made a fair profit out of the venture, but also reaped the benefit of having his land cleared.

Splendid rata firewood is to be got almost immediately adjacent to the railway station, and the result of the reporter's inquiries show that this could be railed to Masterton in two-foot lengths at a cost of about 28s 5d per cord, allowing 2s 6d per cord to the farmer for his wood. At this price there is not a wide margin for profit, but the Railway Department might be induced to lower the freight sufficiently to allow the wood to be retailed locally at a reasonable profit.

Rata firewood is very scarce around Masterton now, and the price of other wood is rapidly increasing.
 Wairarapa Daily Times, Volume LVII, Issue 8809, 15 July 1907, Page 4

Native timber, from trees that had taken hundreds of years to grow, was not seen as a finite resource until the latter years of the 20th century.  While many trees were felled to provide quality hardwood timber for building, native timber, including hardwoods such as totara, was in common use as firewood until the 1960s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

McRae-Tatham wedding, 1902

Wairarapa Daily Times, Volume XXVI, Issue 7325, 1 December 1902, Page 2

One of the prettiest weddings which has taken place on the East Coast, for a long time, was celebrated on Wednesday last, at Homewood, the residence of Mrs Tatham.

The contracting parties were Nehemiah, youngest son of the late Nehemiah McRae, Esq., of Nelson, and Effie Mabel, second daughter of the late Frederic E. Tatham, of Homewood. The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr J. H. Tatham, was dressed in soft white silk trimmed with lace insertion, and wore the usual bridal veil and orange blossoms. The bridesmaids were Miss Ivy Tatham, sister of the bride, and Miss Marjorie Ward, niece of the bridegroom, and were prettily attired in white silk dresses. The bouquets, which were carried by bride and bridesmaids, were composed of white roses, syringa, and maiden hair fern.

The bridegroom was attended by Hugh Morrison, Esq., of Blairlogie, as best man. The bridegroom's present to the bride w…

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.