Skip to main content

Picnics past


Castlepoint has always been a popular spot for day trips.  Here motor owners are enjoying a picnic, sometime between 1920 and 1925. 05-39/P-H-3-3.R14B9S4




Florrie Hale, with Jack and Jessie Andrew, enjoy a picnic, possibly at Flat Point. Photograph taken 1900-1904. 05-39/P-J-9-5.R14B9S4



Ngahape School picnic, taken between 1932 and 1934. 11-79/21.digital

Standing: Rod Elliott (2nd right); Bill Gordon (3rd right); Violet Summers (4th right); Iris Gordon (5th right); Pat Paku (1st left at front); Robert Elliott;
Children kneeling from left: Valerie Gordon; Andrew Summers; Peter Gordon; Ian Summers.
Children sitting: Lois Summers; Elza Summers; ?; ?; Poppy Paku; Joan Simpson; Alan Summers.



C.E. Daniell's staff at their picnic at Rathkeale, 1895
Back row, from left: J. Longstaff; J.W. Chapple; J. Winstanley; J.M. Caradine; A. McGuire.
Middle row: E.S. Knight; J. Payne; A.J. Minifie; F. Bacon; F.W. Temple; F.C. Daniell; C.E. Daniell; R. Robertson; A. Robertson; S. Bartlett; J. Prentice; W. Tooby; W. (Dad) Robins.
Front row: W.J. Henry; G. Arnold; F. Christensen; J. Tait; W. Whittaker; S. Sheppard Senior; R. Reynolds; F.W. Temple Jnr.  90-017/27



Group of people having a picnic outside an old house. Taken between 1890 and 1910. 90-017/289



A family picnic at Mount Meredith. Dorothy Horner holds a rifle over her shoulder with the rest of the family sitting in the grass eating and drinking.
Identified are: Dorothy Horner, holding rifle; Guy Wagg, behind her; Jack Tatham (white hat with black band, holding cup); Far left, Doris Tatham; Ralph Tatham?; Cecilia Tatham.  90-017/533



Matarawa School picnic, 1916. 90-017/733


Around 50 adults and children at the Hastwell School picnic, 1906-1907  90-046/32-2.R2B1S6


Mrs Te Tau's party enjoying a picnic during an Historic Places Trust Tour. Local member, Kuini Te Tau is shown wearing a headscarf. 1961-1967.  04-159/14-2b.digital


Source
Wairarapa Archives

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.