Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from January, 2012

Wairarapa invades Wellington

Wairarapa residents, community leaders, the Wairarapa Pipe Band, together with Wellington local body representatives, in front of Parliament, August 1920.  90-017/31

Fed up with the slow and cumbersome train journey over the Rimutaka Incline, and the barrier to economic progress it posed, Wairarapa residents and community leaders -- together with Wellington business leaders -- decided a deputation to Parliament was called for. The Evening Post of 19 August 1920 reports:
A new idea in the way of deputations was put into operation by the Wellington and Wairarapa people to-day. To impress upon the Government the urgency of the request for a deviation from the Rimutaka route, Wairarapa invaded Wellington in force.

Picnics past

Castlepoint has always been a popular spot for day trips.  Here motor owners are enjoying a picnic, sometime between 1920 and 1925. 05-39/P-H-3-3.R14B9S4

Tauherenikau Racecourse - early days

The Wairarapa Racing Club was formed on 21 April 1862. After holding meetings in other parts of the Wairarapa for 10 years, it shifted to Tauherenikau in 1874. The photo above, taken in 1915, shows part of the racecourse, looking towards the grandstand.  02-299/32



Race meeting at Tauherenikau, c1905 - 07-117/42



The Birdcage at Tauherenikau Racecourse. At right is Norman Shepherd. William Bidwill is behind the cup. The woman at right may be his wife. 13-156/11-55


Cup presentation, c1925-1933 - 13-156/6-11.digital




Greytown saddler Walter Armstrong had a lifetime interest in horse racing. An owner, trainer and jockey, he was the first jockey to ride at Tauherenikau - 02-194



Annie Carlyon (right) and her sister Nell Therkleson at the races at Tauherenikau. The woman in the centre is not identified. The photo was taken in the 1920s.


Annie Carlyon (left) and Elsie Carlyon in the grounds of Tauherenikau Racecourse on race day, 1945-1950 - 10-151/3-22
Horses boxes at Tauherenikau, c1930 - 9…