Skip to main content

Aubrey paints Eketahuna, 1891



Aubrey, Christopher, fl 1870s-1900s :[Eketahuna]. 1891.
Reference Number: C-030-011
Shows houses in the small town of Eketahuna in the middle distance, behind a large depression, around which a road has been made. Horses graze in the right foreground, a horse and carriage travels from the right towards the town, and in the right distance is a white church or school building. Some land clearing has been done in the depression which has some tree stumps and trunks lying on the ground. File prints of other versions identify the horse and carriage as the stage coach from Alfredton.





Aubrey, Christopher, fl 1870s-1900s :[Eketahuna]. 1891
Shows the main street of Eketahuna with the two-storied brick-coloured Club Hotel in the centre and James Jones' General Store and Temperance Hotel on the right with the stage coach from Alfredton in front



Aubrey, Christopher, fl 1870s-1900s :[Eketahuna]. 1891.
Shows horses and treestumps in foreground, a horse-drawn carriage, a church and the main street of Eketahuna

Aubrey, Christopher, fl 1870s-1900s :Eketahuna. 1892.
Shows two carriages, cows grazing in a field in the foreground, the main street of Eketahuna with J Jones' shop and Temperance Hotel, the Club hotel & G. Edwards' butcher's cart

Source:
Manuscripts and Pictorial, Alexander Turnbull Library

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.