Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from August, 2011

First car arrives in Eketahuna, 1903

The first car to visit Eketahuna was a great occasion for the town.  This photo shows the car, apparently chauffeur-driven, parked in front of the Commercial Hotel and being admired by the town's menfolk.

Travel by road in the northern Wairarapa in the early 20th century was challenging. The roads were very rough and turned to a sea of mud during winter.

Source:
Picture Wairarapa (Wairarapa Archives)

Cliff walk opens, Eketahuna, 1911

Eketahuna Mayoress Maud Page cuts the ribbon at the opening of the Cliff Walk, Eketahuna. Mayor Cliff Page is standing beside her on the box.

The women behind her, left to right, are Madge Seymour, Mrs Hotop, Matilda and Alice Anderson, Mrs Charlotte Turner.


The coronation of King George V and Queen Mary in 1911 was a great occasion for Eketahuna. As part of the town's celebrations the Cliff Walk was opened.

The Cliff Walk begins by the bridge in Bridge Street, Eketahuna, and is a pretty scenic walk above the Makakahi River.

Sources:
Picture Wairarapa (Wairarapa Archive)
A Goodly Heritage, Irene Adcock, 1973

Lambs at Kahumingi Station - 1970s

Snow in Martinborough: 1939