Skip to main content

Wairarapa parishes rearranged - 1898

Evening Post, 4 July 1898

St Mark's Anglican Church, Carterton, 1925

The Bishop of Wellington has paid a visit to Wairarapa to discuss with the vestries of St. Mark's and St, Luke's districts the question of rearranging the parish boundaries.

It is thought, now that St. John's Church, Featherston, is open, that a large district including Martinborough can be better served from Featherston than from Greytown, and that the latter town and Carterton can be worked together.

St Luke's Anglican Church, Greytown, 1928.
The reverse of this postcard was used by Vicar, Canon Stent, to invite parishioners to the Jubilee Services and  Social in 1928. The church was destroyed by fire in 1968.  Although the church was replaced by a new building in 1970, much of the original stone wall still remains.


At present there are only two clergymen to attend to the spiritual requirements of the Anglicans of the whole of the extensive district of South Wairarapa. The result is that the outlying districts are neglected. The problem to solve is how to supply the needs of the back-block settlers without neglecting the more thickly-settled areas? "Ways and means" is the key-note, and his Lordship, who has very businesslike ideas, has come into the district to learn at first hand its capabilities in this direction. He has discussed the position with the vestries, and, armed with the knowledge thus gained, he will be in a position to deal with the matter at the proper time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

McRae-Tatham wedding, 1902

Wairarapa Daily Times, Volume XXVI, Issue 7325, 1 December 1902, Page 2

One of the prettiest weddings which has taken place on the East Coast, for a long time, was celebrated on Wednesday last, at Homewood, the residence of Mrs Tatham.

The contracting parties were Nehemiah, youngest son of the late Nehemiah McRae, Esq., of Nelson, and Effie Mabel, second daughter of the late Frederic E. Tatham, of Homewood. The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr J. H. Tatham, was dressed in soft white silk trimmed with lace insertion, and wore the usual bridal veil and orange blossoms. The bridesmaids were Miss Ivy Tatham, sister of the bride, and Miss Marjorie Ward, niece of the bridegroom, and were prettily attired in white silk dresses. The bouquets, which were carried by bride and bridesmaids, were composed of white roses, syringa, and maiden hair fern.

The bridegroom was attended by Hugh Morrison, Esq., of Blairlogie, as best man. The bridegroom's present to the bride w…

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.