Skip to main content

Mary Ann Cave - obituary - 1933 (daughter of pioneer Richard Iorns)

04-135/102.digital
Evening Post, 11 September 1933

An. old and respected Wairarapa resident, Mrs. Mary Ann Cave, died at her home, "Nympsfield," Masterton, on Saturday night.

The late Mrs. Cave, who was 85 years of age, had borne with fortitude for many years the lot of a confirmed invalid. No one was more thoroughly respected and esteemed.

Mrs. Cave was a liberal contributor to many charities, and it was said of her that she was never appealed to in vain in a good cause.

Born in Wellington in 1848, Mrs. Cave was brought to the Wairarapa by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Iorns, when she was a child. At the age of 22 she was married to Mr. A. W. Cave, who died thirteen years ago.

She was a grand-daughter of Mr. Joseph Masters, after whom Masterton is named, and her mother was the first storekeeper in Masterton.

The late Mr. Cave farmed a property at Te Ore Ore, and he and his wife lived there for many years until he retired, and they took up their residence at "Nympsfield" 28 years ago.

Mrs. Cave was one of the founders of the Church of the Epiphany, at Kuripuni, and took an active and prominent part in its affairs.

She is survived by a brother, Mr. J. Iorns, of Masterton; a sister, Mrs. S. Cox, Taranaki; a half-sister; Mrs. F. Johnson, and several half-brothers, the Messrs. Bannister, of Masterton.


Further reading
A journey in search of ancestors: the English Cotswolds to the Wairarapa in New Zealand, by Christopher Pope, (Fraser Books), documents the history of Augustus William Cave, a prominent Wairarapa pioneer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.