Skip to main content

Martinborough wedding: Evans/McLeod - 1939

Evening Post, 13 June 1939

A wedding of interest to a wide circle of friends took place at the Martinborough Presbyterian Church recently when Mary (Bunty) Werner, youngest daughter of Mrs. McLeod and the late Hon. A. D. McLeod, "Mangapari," Martinborough, was married to Neil Evans, only son of Mr. and Mrs. P. F. Sinclair, Kelburn, Wellington.

The bride wore a silver brocaded lame gown, with a full train, and a beautiful embroidered tulle veil which fell in folds from a coronet of orange blossoms and pearls. She wore pearls, and carried a sheaf of white lilies and maidenhair fern.

The matron of honour was Mrs. Gordon McLeod, Martinborough, and the bridesmaids, Miss Mary Sinclair, Wellington, and Miss Barbara Morgan, Stratford. They were dressed alike in gowns of oyster lace, with scarlet velvet sashes and carried bouquets in scarlet tonings.

Mr. Glyn Evans, Wellington, was best man, and Mr. Digby Cooper, Wellington, and Mr. Robert McLeod, Martinborough, were the groomsmen. The ushers were Messrs. Gordon McLeod and Bruce Donald.

A reception was held at "Mangapari." The future home of Mr. and Mrs. Neil Sinclair will be in Wellington.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.