Skip to main content

GreytownWedding: Balfour/Humphries - 1909

Evening Post, 1 April 1909

A wedding of some local interest took place this afternoon at Greytown, when Miss Elsie Mildred Humphries, eldest daughter of Mr. Henry Humphries, was married to Mr. Alan Bidwill Balfour, dentist.
The bride was attired in white Swiss embroidered muslin over a Mastese underskirt, and wore a beautiful embroidered veil and wreath of orange blossoms. She carried a sheaf of white Japanese anemone and maidenhair fern, and was given away by her brother, Mr. William Humphries.

There were four bridesmaids, Miss Constance Ethel Keedwell and Miss Zillah Humphries (sister) were the two principal ones, and wore frocks of pale blue crystalline, trimmed with roses, with hats of crinoline straw to match. They carried shower bouquets of anemones and lilies.

Ruby and Nellie Humphries (sisters of the bride) were dressed in blue, carrying pink flowers. The bridesmaids received bamboo bangles, the gift of the bridegroom.

Mr. Athol Rhodes (cousin of the bridegroom) filled the position of best man, and Mr. Leslie Balfour, brother of the bridegroom, that of groomsman.

The marriage took place at St. Luke's Church, Greytown, the officiating minister being the Rev. E. T. Wynn Bond (Martinborough), assisted by the Rev. A. T. B. Page, vicar of the parish.

The church was prettily decorated by members of the choir, who also assisted in the ceremony. The presents made were both numerous and costly. A large number of guests were at the wedding ceremony, and the reception was held afterwards in a large marquee erected at the residence of the bride's parents.

In the evening a social and dance was held in the Foresters' Hall, when a great many accepted the invitation, and spent an enjoyable evening. The happy couple are travelling north for their honeymoon. The bride's travelling costume was of creme serge, trimmed with, white silk and French knots, the hat being of green decorated with green wings and satin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.