Skip to main content

Funeral - Sir Walter Buchanan

Sir Walter Buchanan
Hawera and Normanby Star, 23 July 1934

THE FUNERAL

IMPRESSIVE TRIBUTES

CARTERTON, July 22.
Although the weather was bitterly cold and stormy, the largest number of people ever gathered in this district assembled to accord a last honour to a deceased fellow-settler at the Clareville Cemetery at noon to-day, where the interment of the late Sir Walter Buchanan, K.B., M.L.C., took place.

The main cortege started from the late residence of the deceased at Lansdowne, Masterton, and was joined all along the road by units from outlying places, while very many more from the neighbourhood of Carterton, Greytown, Featherston. Martinborough and Lower Valley, with which portion of the district Sir Walter had been more closely associated during the greater portion of his life, met and joined the procession at the Clareville corner. A special train from Wellington brought the Prime Minister (Mr W. F. Massey), other 7 members of Cabinet, members of both Houses of Parliament, and prominent Wellington citizens.

Immediately following the hearse were the The. Hon. W. F. Massey. Hon. A D. McLeod, M.P. (Wairarapa), and members of Cabinet, the Mayors of all the Wairarapa boroughs, and the chairmen of all the local bodies, together with their councils, and a hundred cars vehicles and cycles.

In the presence of a large concourse of people the remains of the late Sir Walter Buchanan, who had so strenuously, usefully and gallantly fought the battle of life. were reverently laid to rest.

The Presbyterian funeral service was impressively carried through by the Revs. G. King (Lansdowne),of the Presbyterian Church, and the Rer J Davie, of Knox Church, Masterton.

Further information
Sir Walter Buchanan (Dictionary of New Zealand Biography)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.