Evening Post, 4 July 1898
The Rev. W. Ballachey, Vicar of St. Mark's, leaves here in a few days, During his 10 years' residence in the district his consistent life and kindly nature have endeared him not only to his parishioners but to a wide circle outside of them. Mr. Ballachey, Mrs. Ballachey, and family have been the recipients of many mementoes of the love and respect in which they are held by the school children, Bible-class pupils, and church members.
From The Cyclopedia of New Zealand (Wellington Provincial District)
Rev. William Ballachey, Vicar of St. Mark's Church, Carterton, was born in Canada in 1846, but was brought up and educated in England. After a successful scholastic career he was in 1865 selected by Dr. Codrington, Bishop Paterson's commissary, to go to New Zealand. Mr. Ballachey was ordained by the Bishop of Wellington in 1872, being appointed to Karori, where he remained till 1882. After eighteen months at Bulls and six months at Papanui he served three years as chaplain to the Burnham Industrial School, and was appointed to Carterton in 1887. The reverend gentleman is married and has two sons and one daughter.