Skip to main content

Last remaining children of pioneer Charles Dixon die - 1935

The two remaining children of Masterton pioneer Charles Dixon of Worksop Farm, died within 11 months of one another in 1935.

Evening Post, 9 January 1935
The death occurred recently in Wellington of Mrs. Harriet Chinchen, widow of the late Mr. Robert H. Chinchen. 
Mrs. Chinchen was born at Masterton seventy-three years ago, and was the youngest daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dixon, who arrived in Wellington in 1842, shortly afterwards removing to Masterton, where the family were among the first settlers. 
Soon after her marriage, Mrs. Chinchen came to Wellington, where she has resided for the past fifty years. She is survived by her five daughters, Mrs. H. J. Crewes, Mrs. W. K. Fisher, Mrs. H. F. Clarke, Mrs. A. R. Lankshear, and Miss P. Chinchen, six-grandchildren, and her brother, Mr. Charles Dixon, who is one of the oldest residents of Masterton.


Group of people outside the Midland Hotel for a mayoral dinner held in honour of Charles Dixon junior, 1930.
Standing from left: J. Blatchford, E. Jones (in front), H. Bannister, F. Hessey, T. Jordan (mayor), J. Iorns, C. Perry, C. Bentley, G. Smith.
Sitting: C. Bennington, Mrs C. Dixon, Charles Dixon jnr, Mrs T. Jordan (mayoress), Mrs E. Smith.



Evening Post, 20 November 1935
(Special to the "Evening Post.") MASTERTON, This Day.

The death occurred in Masterton last night of Mr. Charles Dixon, a member of one of the first pioneer families to settle in Masterton.

His passing will be deeply regretted by.a large number of friends in all parts of the district and elsewhere.

The late Mr. Dixon, who was born at Karori in 1847, came to Masterton 81 years ago.

Until about a month ago he was still a familiar figure in town but latterly his health showed increasing signs of failing and a week ago he was admitted to the Masterton Hospital.

Mr. Dixon was the last surviving member of the family of the late Mr. Charles Dixon, a pioneer settler of the district and was believed to have been longer a resident of Masterton than any other surviving settler of the early days. Mr. and Mrs. Dixon celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary on October 30 last. 
Mr. Dixon is survived by a widow (a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Herbert, of Herbertville), five daughters, three sons, 16 grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren, to whom the sympathy of a wide circle of friends will be extended in their loss.

See also:
Worksop Farm, Charles and Mary Dixon, pioneers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.