Skip to main content

South Wairarapa Caledonia Pipe Band

07-07/3.digital

South Wairarapa Caledonia Pipe Band parading down Main Street, Greytown, just south of the intersection with Church Street, circa 1950.

Identified are: Don Kendall second from back; Margory Simmonds left in white shirt; Basil Sutton second front left; Betty Findlayson white shirt on right; partially obscured behind Betty is Barbara Flynn; Ewen McFarlane is front left; Beverley Nelson centre with white shirt; Alistair McLeod second from left front; Donald Sutherland front right; Buster Hopping is the Drum Major.

Behind the band is St Luke's Anglican Church in Main Street, Greytown and its famous Eucalyptus Regnans tree, planted by Samuel Oates.

07-07/1.digital

A large group of highland dancers with pipers. Those identified are: Maureen Farmer, back row third from right; Barbara Flynn, third row fourth from right; left side piper is A. Henderson; seated on the left is a Henderson child; second and third from the right are Henderson twins. The teacher is Miss Wright and she is wearing a white dress.

07-07/2.digital
Members of the South Wairarapa Caledonia Pipe Band (not in uniform) leading a parade of returned servicemen on Main street, Greytown.
In the background is the Greytown Fire Station.

Source: Wairarapa Archives

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.