Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from February, 2011

Riversdale: early views

South Wairarapa Caledonia Pipe Band

South Wairarapa Caledonia Pipe Band parading down Main Street, Greytown, just south of the intersection with Church Street, circa 1950.

Identified are: Don Kendall second from back; Margory Simmonds left in white shirt; Basil Sutton second front left; Betty Findlayson white shirt on right; partially obscured behind Betty is Barbara Flynn; Ewen McFarlane is front left; Beverley Nelson centre with white shirt; Alistair McLeod second from left front; Donald Sutherland front right; Buster Hopping is the Drum Major.

Behind the band is St Luke's Anglican Church in Main Street, Greytown and its famous Eucalyptus Regnans tree, planted by Samuel Oates.


A large group of highland dancers with pipers. Those identified are: Maureen Farmer, back row third from right; Barbara Flynn, third row fourth from right; left side piper is A. Henderson; seated on the left is a Henderson child; second and third from the right are Henderson twins. The teacher is Miss Wright and she is wearing a white dress.

Saunders Road School, Alfredton

Saunders Road School opened in 1900. On 5 October 1900, Mrs Emma Cederholm, who lived on Pori Road, wrote to her daughters in Wellington:

Alfredton's first store

Supplies were a real problem for Alfredton's early settlers and almost impossible in winter as the muddy roads and tracks became impassable.

South Coast by William Mein Smith

The soaring cliffs between Te Kopi and Whatarangi on the Wairarapa south coast, painted in the 1850s by William Mein Smith.