Skip to main content

Wedding in Alfredton (Didsbury/Nelson)

Evening Post, Volume CV, Issue 96, 24 April 1928, Page 13 - Women in Print

Wedding
The little town of Alfredton was the scene of a very pretty wedding on Wednesday afternoon, when Kathleen, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. K. J. Didsbury of Pah Flat, was married at St.Aidan's Church to Richard, second son of Mr. and Mrs. Archie Nelson, of Pori, Pahiatua.



The church had been beautifully decorated in autumn tints and the couple stood under a huge wedding bell of white and pink cactus dahlias, suspended from both sides of the altar by a rope of flowers. The church was crowded to overflowing.

The bride, who was escorted by her father, wore a becoming frock built on early Victorian lines, of white silk tulle. The bodice had short puffed sleeves and the fairly long skirt was frilled from waist to hem. Her veil was arranged most artistically, and was finished with an orange blossom spray on one side. She also wore a lovely string of pearls, and carried a bouquet of delicately tinted roses and autumn leaves.

Misses Vernon Hammond (chief), Woodward (Hastings), and Nelson (Pahiatua) were in attendance, wearing sleeveless frocks of maize georgette, with high lace collars. Velvet bows fell from shoulder to hem. They wore gold tissue bandeaux with autumn posy on one side, and carried bouquets that toned with their frocks.

The bridegroom's brother was best man, and Messrs. Shackleton (Pahiatua), and Inglis (Napier) groomsmen. After the ceremony Mr. and Mrs.Didsbury held a reception at their home. A huge marquee was the rendezvous for afternoon tea, and here many speeches were made.

The grounds, now ablaze with shrubs, and the gardens, were greatly admired. Mr. and Mrs. Didsbury received their guests in the main hall, and all afterwards passed into the drawing-room where Mr. and Mrs. Nelson received the congratulations of their friends. Mrs. Didsbury was in navy georgette with lace sleeves and bright red posy.

Among the many guests, some of whom had travelled long distances to be present, were:
Mrs. Hammond (aunt), in black and gold georgette;
Mrs. Phillips (aunt), of Palmerston North, black georgette and silver;
Mrs. F. Purnell,
Miss Didsbury (Wellington),
Mrs. H. Moss (Wellington),
Mrs. Walter Blundell (Wellington),
Miss Denise Didsbury (Auckland),
Mrs. Archie Nelson (Pori).
Mrs. Frank Nelson,
Mrs. Jack Nelson,
Mrs. Inglis,
Mr. and Mrs. Shore (Pohangina),
Mr. and Mrs. Arbon and family (Pohangina),
Mr. and Mrs. Hanley,
Mr. and Mrs. Cuthbert White (Komako),
Miss Eona Woodward (Auckland),
Mr. and Mrs. Patten Praser,
Mr. and Mrs. Sydney Smith (Masterton).
Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Murray (Eketahuna),
Mrs. Tyler (Makuri),
Mrs Turner (Eketahuna),
Mrs. Murray-Ainsley (Eketahuna),
Mr. and Mrs. Woodward (Hastings),
Dr. and Mrs. Dawson,
Dr. and Mrs. Paterson (Pahiatua),
Mr. and Mrs. Jim Matheson (Tane),
Mrs. Guy Lewis,
Mrs. Purves Hay,
Mr. and Mrs. Harold Kebbell,
Mrs. W. M. Kebbell (Masterton),
Mr. and Mrs. Reg Kebbell,
Mr. and Mrs. Harold Beetham (Masterton),
Mr. and Mrs Trevor Beetham (Masterton),
Mr. and Mrs, Millar (Makuri),
Mr. and Mrs. Wilson (Makuri),
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Perry,
Mrs. Kelsey (Pori),
Mrs. Hillas,
Miss Ngairo Hillas,
Mrs. Page (Eketahuna),
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Turner (Pori),
Mr. and Mrs. McGregor,
Mrs. Gones (Tawataia),
Mrs. Harry Crawford,
Mr. and Mrs. C. Richardson,
Miss Joan Millar,
Mr. and Mrs. Raleigh (Saunder's road),
Miss Molly Matheson,
Miss Nelson
Miss Beresford,
Miss Hubbard (Pahiatua),
Misses Alex and Irene Rutherfurd,
Messrs. J. A. Smith,
E. and F. Hillas, and many others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.