Skip to main content

Tramping in the Tararuas

Holdsworth is one of the most popular access points to walks for all levels of fitness within the Tararua Ranges. Climbing Mount Holdsworth itself is a must-do climb for trampers, although improvements to the track and huts make it a much easier experience than when these photos were taken, mainly in the 1920s

Man standing in Mangaterere-Akiwhakatu Stream, at junction with a smaller stream,
19 November 1922.
Photograph by Ronald Henry Stidolph, 1900-1979



Five men with axes and sticks at Mountain House on Mount Holdsworth.
As they appear to be wearing items of uniform, they may be ex-soldiers. 1910-1920
Two men wading through the Mangatarere-Akiwhakatu Stream, 15 November 1922.
Photograph by Ronald Hector Donald Stidolph, 1900-1979


Group of ten trampers in the Akiwhakatu Stream, Mount Holdsworth,
including members of the Bull family. (Photo dates from 1900-1910
Ascent of Kapapakanui, Tararuas, 1-2 March, 1920.
Photo by Leslie Adkin.

This photo is from a Te Papa blog post on tramping in the Tararuas - Historic Holiday Snaps.

Entry to the Kapapakanui track is from the other side of the Tararuas, at Reikorangi, inland from Waikanae.

Sources: Picture Wairarapa and Te Papa Blog

Useful links:
Holdsworth - Places to Visit
Tararua Tramping Club
History of Tararua Forest Park
Excerpt from Tramping in New Zealand, by Jim du Fresne (Google Books)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

McRae-Tatham wedding, 1902

Wairarapa Daily Times, Volume XXVI, Issue 7325, 1 December 1902, Page 2

One of the prettiest weddings which has taken place on the East Coast, for a long time, was celebrated on Wednesday last, at Homewood, the residence of Mrs Tatham.

The contracting parties were Nehemiah, youngest son of the late Nehemiah McRae, Esq., of Nelson, and Effie Mabel, second daughter of the late Frederic E. Tatham, of Homewood. The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr J. H. Tatham, was dressed in soft white silk trimmed with lace insertion, and wore the usual bridal veil and orange blossoms. The bridesmaids were Miss Ivy Tatham, sister of the bride, and Miss Marjorie Ward, niece of the bridegroom, and were prettily attired in white silk dresses. The bouquets, which were carried by bride and bridesmaids, were composed of white roses, syringa, and maiden hair fern.

The bridegroom was attended by Hugh Morrison, Esq., of Blairlogie, as best man. The bridegroom's present to the bride w…

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.