Skip to main content

Summer in the Wairarapa

Lawn bowls being played, Masterton Park, with tennis being played in the background. Circa 1946
90-007/009e-001.digital



Coronation Hall and gardens, Queen Elizabeth Park
From a series of hand-coloured prints entitled 'Souvenir of Masterton,' published by J.P. Fortune, Bookseller and Stationer, circa 1920. 00-260/14.digital
Summer Meeting, Taratahi-Carterton Racing Club, February 19, 1866
10-107/7.digital




Farmer Bruce McKenzie standing in a parched paddock during the summer drought, 9 January 1998
Alexander Turnbull Library



Sir Arthur Porritt at the Tauherenikau races with the president and steward of the Wairarapa Racing Club,
30 December 1967
Left to right: Club President, J G Donald (1898-1981), Sir Arthur Porritt, Governor-General (1900-1994), E A Riddiford (d.1993), Club Steward
Alexander Turnbull Library

Church picnic at Homewood, circa 1905 - 01-25/30.digital


Family Picnic, Mount Meredith, circa 1914
Dorothy Horner holds a rifle over her shoulder with the rest of the family sitting in the grass, eating and drinking.
Identified are: Dorothy Horner, holding rifle; Guy Wagg, behind her, Jack Tatham (white hat with black band, holding cup.)
Far left, Doris Tatham; Ralph Tatham?; Cecilia Tatham.
90-017/533


Sources: Alexander Turnbull Library
Wairarapa Archive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.