Skip to main content

Christmas in the Wairarapa

Christmas Card from Cross Creek, 1910



Actors in the Christmas Play, Tinui 1925.

Back row: Jim Tuckett; Harold Laing; Allan Bertlesen; Greta Stevenson; Betty Laing; Laura Schofield, Alice Schofield; Harold Schofield, Amy Craig, and unknown.
Seated: Dick McIsaac; unknown; Tom Fowett; Vera McIsaac; Mary McIsaac; Frank Schofield; Jackie Collins.



Programme for Carols by Candlelight, December 1951, held at Masterton Park Oval, sponsored by the YMCA

Children seated by school Christmas tree, Castlepoint Station, 1925

Christmas Day, 1918.

Nurses and orderlies, identified as from left: Hughes, Pitt, McLeod, Peters, Hendry, Donald, Dug [Muriel Douglass] and Burge



"Christmas Group at Blairlogie"
Morrison family at Blairlogie homestead, circa 1900.

Jessie Andrew, nee Morrison, is seated at right with her two small children Isobel and John Morrison Andrew. John Morrison junior is standing at the rear, as is his brother Rupert.


Christmas at Willow Park, December 25th, 1915.

Standing from left: Ernest McLachlan; Ilma McLachlan; Kemble Welch; [Eldred] Douglas McLachlan; Edie Welch; Ted Welch.
Sitting from left: Stuart McLachlan; Stella McLachlan; Lucy McLachlan; Gordon Stewart; unknown; Harry Welch; Mary Ann Welch; Duncan McLachlan.
Front from left: Ian McLachlan, Wray McLachlan (on Norman's knee); Flora McLachlan, Norman McLachlan.



Father Christmas arriving by aeroplane at a Greytown RSA Christmas Party at Riverside Farm, Greytown, 1960s.
Father Christmas is Barney Rhodes and the plane is a Taylorcraft BC12, ZK-BSW

Source: Picture Wairarapa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Featherston Military Camp

B Company, 22nd reinforcements, on the Rimutaka Hill, 1917. The men are wearing toitoi on their hats. 00-38/16.digital

In January 1916 the biggest army training camp in New Zealand opened in Featherston. The camp occupied the land on both sides of the main road between Featherston and Tauherenikau. In 1916 the camp was the biggest settlement in the Wairarapa at a time when Masterton’s population was 5,500. It covered almost 30 hectares. Today there is only a memorial to the camp by State Highway 2.

Pahiatua Museum

The Pahiatua and Districts Museum Society has an old bay villa chock-full of interesting ephemera reflecting earlier years in Pahiatua and the Tararua District. Established as a museum in 1977, the villa was formerly the home of the local doctor and is largely in original condition, a wonderful glimpse of life in the early 20th century.

1942 Earthquake: Masterton's business area badly wrecked

Evening Post, 26 June 1942

"MILITARY TAKE OVER CONTROL

Masterton's main street was a sorry sight yesterday.

With huge piles of brick and masonry sprawling across the footpaths and roadway, shattered shop windows, and trailing high-tension lines, the condition of the mile-long thoroughfare was testimony to the intensity of the previous night's earthquake. In the residential areas householders suffered considerable damage to property, and it appears that Masterton took the main shock. Miraculously no casualties of any sort have been reported.