Masterton viewed from King Street, showing G E and E E Chamberlain's flourmill on the corner of Victoria and Albert Sts and the Methodist Church on the corner of Chapel St and Lincoln Rd. In the foreground are two drovers on horseback with a mob of sheep. A number of houses, a large stand of native bush and hills are also shown.
Richard Collins farmed at Te Ore Ore from 1849. According to Bagnall's "Wairarapa..." (1976), his house was destroyed by the 1855 earthquake. Therefore, these buildings may all have to have been erected in one year.
Bowry, William Henry: The Mill, Renall Street, Masterton, 188-? The first Wairarapa flour mill, built by A W Renall between 1859 and 1862, destroyed by fire 1896; powered by water from Waipoua Stream. Source: Alexander Turnbull Library